I am an 18 year old journalism student from Edinburgh. I write about music, tell stories and talk nonsense.
I also make music: https://soundcloud.com/gospelunicorn
A versatile freelance journalist with an unconventional approach and the ability to effectively cover an extensive range of issues.
Key Skills Include:
* clear, concise communicator with excellent verbal and written skills using traditional, online and social media
* outstanding organisational and time planning skills – working consistently to deadlines
* strong interpersonal and people skills – ability to empathise in sensitive circumstances
Edinburgh Napier University BA (Hons) Journalism 2013-present
Introduction to Reporting 1&2 Media Studies News Analysis
Multimedia Reporting Social Media
Broughton High School: 2007-2013
Advanced Highers: Highers:
Art – A Media Studies – A
English – B Maths – C
Music – A
Employment & Work Experience:
Helios Fountain, Edinburgh (2012-present)
Sales assistant – experienced in a variety of activities in an independent retail outlet with a broad customer-base. This post has given me the opportunity to further develop and adapt my people skills in dealing with a range of personalities and situations.
Banana Row Studios – 1 week of work experience (2011)
Music studio set-up, including equipment maintenance, checks and sound engineering.
Set-up for promotional press event.
This gave me invaluable first-hand insight into the music business as well as giving me a taste for music journalism.
Oxfam Music – ad hoc voluntary work (2012)
Sales assistant and donation processing
Blog – ailsamcewan.wordpress.com
Blogging is one of my favourite forms of communication through social media. In my most recent blog I publish a variety of my work, which helps me to develop my brand as a journalist and build an audience.
Other Activities, Interests and Achievements:
- I was a member of the 2012 Edinburgh Film Festival Young Persons Jury where we judged and selected film entries to create two hour-long programmes of films and also decided which ones should be nominated and receive awards.
- Songwriting & guitar – I use the internet as a platform for my songwriting- https://soundcloud.com/gospelunicorn
- I have performed at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in various choirs
- I am a published poet
- Art – my work has been exhibited
- I was House Captain in my final year of school which involved organising music and sporting events
Allan Boughey Jos Bastiaensen MBA
Journalism lecturer Director
Edinburgh Napier University Helios Fountain